Your water heater or boilers are critical devices for the smooth functioning of your home. But due to normal wear and tear these systems like any other, can wear after a few years. This gives you all the more reason to opt for protection, such as a home warranty package. But does a home warranty replace a water heater?
This detailed post will answer that question and familiarize you with the top home warranty companies in the country that replace water heaters.
Do Home Warranties Replace Water Heaters?
Top home warranty companies do replace water heaters if they are corrupted due to normal wear and tear. It is important to note that a trained company technician will first assess your water heater, and then take a call if it needs to be replaced. Only if the technician deems it necessary will your water heater be replaced. Or else the device will only be repaired by the warranty company.
Now let’s take a look at some of the best companies that replace water heaters.
1. American Home Shield (AHS)
As stated in the AHS sample contract, your water heater will be replaced if it is damaged. AHS also stretches its coverage to tankless water heaters and circulation pumps.
Your water heater can be replaced if you opt for the AHS Systems Plan, Combo Plan, or the Build-Your-Own-Plan. Be sure to note that AHS will not replace your water heater, if any of the following components malfunction:
- Fuel storage tanks
- Energy conservation units
- Auxiliary holding or storage tanks
2. Total Home Protection (THP)
THP will replace your water heater if it is damaged. THP contracts cover gas and electric heaters, and also circulating pumps. It is important that you understand some important aspects of THP contracts pertaining to water heaters. We listed out the following noteworthy points.
- No more than $500 will be paid by the company for replacing the water heater
- If the company assigns an independent contractor to repair your device, the customer will receive a reimbursement for the payment made
- If the device fails again after getting replaced, the company sends a technician at no additional cost
3. The Home Service Club (HSC)
HSC will provide the service of replacing your water heater if it cannot be repaired. Both gas and electric water heaters are covered under HSC contracts. You could opt to cover your device under the Standard and Comprehensive Coverage that the company offers. Make sure to always read your contract thoroughly before signing up. Here are some important pointers to keep in mind when your device is getting replaced:
- HSC pays up to $500 per contract cycle for replacing your water heater
- If this amount is exceeded, customers may be required to pay additional costs
- Not all components of the device are covered under the HSC contract
Water heater replacements are not only subject to the companies mentioned above. Several other warranty companies do replace these devices, you can check them all out on HomeWarrantyReviews.com.
Tips To Maintain Your Water Heater
To prolong the life of your water heater, it is essential that you follow certain steps to maintain your device. We’ve listed out a few critical steps that you should follow.
- Check the temperature-pressure-release (TPR) on the top or on the side of the water heater. If you notice water flowing when you lift the valve’s tab drain, place a new pipe wrench.
- Wash the tank and remove any sediments. To do this insert a hose to the valve at the bottom, and let the device run with water flow. Insert the other part of the hose to a drain. This process ensures all unnecessary materials from the device get eliminated.
- Make sure to clean the water heater from the inside and outside once every two months. This warrants all the unnecessary dust removed from the device.
While maintaining your device, make safety a priority. Always wear gloves, goggles, and the correct clothing to make sure you do not injure yourself when fixing the water heater.
The water heaters’ main purpose is to heat water for bathing, cleaning, atmospheric temperature control and other household activities. Always make sure the device is in good condition, as it is an essential commodity for the smooth functioning of your home.